Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Customer Service

Since our trip to China (pics on facebook - slideshow coming soon) we have gone to the sand dunes, attended the play of Anne of Green Gables, got dressed up for Halloween, and I know not what. The pics are all however on Ben's phone since I have yet to empty ours (from the aforesaid China trip). In the meantime I am going to get in the spirit of Thanksgiving and write a post about something I am thankful for.

Really Good Customer Service

Sometimes I think that in the day and age of fast, furious, and frantic the old idea of customer service goes out the window. Self check out at the grocery store, self service at the gas stations, online shopping all mean we have little interaction with people face to face anymore and when we do it is all about the ticking clock. Then every now and then you get someone - be it drive through window guy, bank teller, or nurse who gives an extra smile, looks you in the eye, and changes the whole mood of your day. I always think I am going to write a note or call a manager when someone really does a good job but often I get back into the hurry of life and forget. So in the spirit of being thankful this month I am going to call, write some reviews,  and post about some of the best customer service I have had since moving to Midland.

Avis Lube on 5309 W Wadley Ave, Midland Texas -
Tuesday is Ladies Day at Avis on Wadley. I didn't know this when I pulled in this morning. I did know that I had 4 kids with me and an expired inspection sticker. I had tried to get the sticker at the other Avis on Midkiff but the wait was 2 hours with nowhere to go. I figured on Wadley we could walk over to Kohls. When I went in the waiting room was spacious and immaculate. There is a large aquarium, a kids room with a tv and CLEAN toys, and the guy offered me a free drink (soda or coffee). The man, Tyson, said they could call me if I wanted to leave but since it was just an inspection the wait would only be 15 minutes. Turns out I had an expired insurance card so HE called my insurance and had them fax over a new one for me. While my kids watched Dora in the all glass room (so I could see them but not hear the annoying theme song) I sat with my free drink and watched the news coverage of the elections. Then they cleaned my car pretty thoroughly. On the way out he gave me and ALL my kids white roses. They also gave me 10 % off. The roses and discount are what happen on ladies day at Avis but he did mention that a lady in Texas should be treated like that everyday. The grand total was 20 minutes of my time (for the wait on insurance) and 14 dollars. I will be going back.

Sherwin Williams in Big Spring -

I am currently trying to paint my living room. Monday I got up and emptied all the furniture out of it and then went to Lowes to buy paint supplies. I didn't get the paint yet but went home to prep the walls. I stopped at lunch to feed kiddos and check email. I get a lot of discount announcements and saw a notice saying that Sherwin Williams was having a 40% off sale from Nov. 9 to Nov 12. I really did not want to live in an empty living room with prepped walls until Friday so I called our local Sherwin Williams and asked if there was anything they could do. Nope - it was a corporate sale. Then I called the Odessa store. Nope. So I called corporate who told me that it was up to the managers at the individual stores. Now I have worked in retail so I don't fault the stores that told me no. (Just an insert, I was also really nice about it, I knew doing anything would be 'breaking the rules'). I have also worked as a manager however and know about price adjusting, returns (on paper) and the like that can get a person a discount. I had brought these up to and was willing to make multiple trips to get my supplies a little earlier. Finally, on a whim, I called the store in Big Spring. Before I really explained the situation or ask about scenarios in which this might work the woman immediately told me to come on in and she would give me 40 % off. It might seem silly to make the drive all the way out there but I am willing to do it just because she was willing to work with me.

Taco Bell on Midkiff -

I have no idea who the drive through guy was that helped me but he joked with me on the intercom, asked how my day was going at the window, and geniunely seemed happy. He also double checked what I had ordered before handing it to me. He made me smile.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

*like*...it is true that good customer services is so nice...

katharine said...

good customer service deserves good business :)

katharine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.