Sunday, August 9, 2009

Throw Down Cookies

Ben and I were watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay the other night on TV and decided to try the delicious cookie that almost won. I am really into cookies. My favorite recipe has always been the Nestle Tollhouse. The Bobby Flay cookie looks pretty flat and pathetic in my opinion but everyone was saying how buttery, chewy, and delicious it was. I am all over buttery and chewy.
The verdict:
Nestle Tollhouse Cookies: Are delicious when they turn out. Soft, chewy, and perfect with milk. For some reason when I make them they only turn out about 85% of the time.
Bobby Flay Cookies: Yummmmmm. Totally different than Nestle. Just as good. I guess it all depends on what you are in the mood for. These are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Will have to try them again and see if the recipe is foolproof.

Because it is Bobby Flay the recipe had some brand name recommendations that I haven't added and I did have a substitutions but here you go!

Recipe:

2 cups plus 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (what is kosher salt? I used salt from my salt shaker)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks of butter softened (ten seconds in microwave, flip 10 more seconds in microwave)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (didn't have so I did light brown and added 1 tsp. molasses with the eggs)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 ounces semi- sweet chocolate chips
5 ounces milk chocolate chips (I divided my dough in half and instead of milk chocolate added dark chocolate. I liked the dark chocolate ones, Ben liked the milk chocolate ones)

Bake at 375 degrees for 11 minutes (I would watch the cooking time)
Suppose to make about 2 dozen but we got about 3 dozen out of the recipe.

P.S. I have not been posting due to the fact that I cannot find our camera. It has been missing since before we left for Utah. It is new and I am sick over losing it. If anyone finds it at their house can you please let me know? I will trade you some cookies for it :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I saw this and I really want to try the 2 ladies cookies too. They looked pretty intense...to bad there is no recipe.

katharine said...

something tells me i won't find your camera at my house, but i sure wish i had some of those cookies! unfortunately when i recently tried to make cookies i ate half of the dough and most of the cookies myself. not so good on the moderation thing where cookies are concerned!

you seriously need to buy some kosher salt (big blue box with the jewish star on front). much better for seasoning meat or potatoes (at least i think so). bigger (coarse) grains. though i have never used it in cookies

Syden said...

Can I have a cookie?

Alison said...

I lost our camera a while back and figured as soon as we bought a new one we'd find it. Still hasn't turned up. That's probably not very comforting though, huh? I hope you find it. I know exactly how you're feeling. Our camera had our kids birthdays on it. Good luck!

Becky said...

Your camera is with your wallet